Friday, May 20, 2011

Oh the changes a year can bring.

A year ago today I was running behind to get to work. I had to stop by the RE's to get J's sperm authorized for thawing, then had to return a couple hours later for the IUI.

Add the $300 it cost me for a new mirror on my car, and that was one expensive day!

And now? Now we have an adorable little boy that I can't even imagine ever not having. It was a long road to get to this point, but I couldn't be happier about how it turned out. We'll see if I feel that way in 13 years.

Unless of course the world ends tomorrow. Then I'm going to be pissed. Though it makes me wonder sometimes if God doesn't handle us the way I handle my SimCity towns. When I start them, it's all fun. Just a few citizens, pretty easy to manage. Then things get growing. It gets harder to keep them all happy. And you have all these fun little tools at your disposal. I can't count the number of towns I have put under a huge sheet of water using the "flood" option because the industries weren't growing the way I wanted. I've burned cities to the ground with the fire and earthquake options (especially when nuclear reactors blow. That's an added bonus). It's fun watching them bow to your whims.

But eventually it gets old. The thrill, the new car smell of it all wears off. You go on to autopilot and let them fend for themselves. Pop in every now and then and adjust the taxes or funding, maybe an alien invasion, then put it on super fast forward and come back when you feel like it. At some point you either give up on trying to save the mess that town has become or start putting some serious effort into trying to change things for the better.

I hope Harold Camping feels like an ass on Sunday.

1 comment:

Papps said...

Yay for a your sweet baby boy! Oh and eff the end of the world ;)