Saturday, October 25, 2008

Going green

Words I never thought I would say. Bad as it is to admit it, I am absolutely horrible about this. Yeah, I toss my excess sheets of paper in the recycling box at work, but that is about it. At home, I have never been one to recycle as there was nowhere convenient to take things and no trash service in my community picks them up. It's their fault really.

When J and I went shopping for baby shower presents, he about passed out when he saw how much diapers are. "How the hell are we going to afford that? Why don't people just use cloth diapers like my mom did? Then you just have to wash them. But they don't have those anymore."

Zoom to me holding up a package of cloth diapers "You mean these?"

"Where the hell did you find those?"

"Under the sign the says Cloth Diapers dipshit." (It was quite clearly marked and there was no way to miss it)

J glares at me. "Shut up. So we could just do those? That would be cheaper."

"Well, then we will probably want some covers, a wet bag for when we are away from home, do we want to buy them or look into a service, do we want prefolds..."

""Holy fuck- where the hell does this come from?"

I about bust a gut laughing. "And you thought all that time I spent on the Nest was useless."

So that is still something we are kicking around. Clearly we have plenty of time, but he seemed a little happier that there was an alternative to disposables, though not for an environmental purpose.

Then there's gas. J loves to ride his motorcycle, and thankfully it gets decent gas mileage. He works 3 miles from home, so it's not a huge deal- for him. I, on the other hand, work 45 miles from home. Big deal. J was iffy on me taking the job for this reason, but I wasn't going to accept a dead end job for half the pay just to save some gas money. So I decided to check into some ride sharing opportunities. And as fate would have it- there is a lady who lives 9 blocks from me, has to drive past my house to get to work, and has to go past my work to get to hers. We work the same hours. Sweet. The environmental freak in our office wanted to hug me when I told her that I found someone to share rides with.

No comments: