Sunday, February 28, 2010

Not really baby related.

I have chewed for years. I have tried to quit many times and always end up chewing again. Finally though, I have decided to join a support group. Kind of an on-line AA for chewers. While I know it is still early in my quit and I have a long way to go, I am actually past a week without a dip. Holy crap. I really can't tell you the last time I could actually say that.

I even managed to hold off last night when I got supremely trashed at a co-workers birthday party (K plus open bar with beer = holy hell). Alcohol is a huge trigger for me (it's the main time I chewed to begin with). I had started the year saying that I would only chew when I drank as a way to cut back. J laughs that I thought that would help. He knew exactly what I would do- I'd go get a beer so I could have a dip. Shocker- that is exactly what happened.

So I found my group. The accountability is a huge thing for me- it makes it easier to not take one when I am tempted when I know there is someone I will be disappointing.

This will be a good thing health wise. It needs to happen. I am glad I decided to do this now so I don't have to deal with nic fits while pregnant.


LMAO. Like I will ever be pregnant.

3 comments:

Katie M said...

I know that this comment is a bit late, but I wanted to congratulate you on such a huge step.

Chatham said...

I hear you. I'm a closet smoker ::gasp!:: And I managed to quit when I was KU. However, after the MC, what do you think was the first thing I reached for?

Good luck. Drinking and chew/butts are the hardest to break up with. I also employed the method of "slowly" quitting. I was super excited when I broke the habit of smoking and driving. I'm cheering for you!

Me said...

I used to smoke. Finally quit after my husband had his foot amputated due to Buerger's Disease. I liked smoking so much I'm not sure I would have ever managed to quit (prior to getting KU) otherwise.